The name of the town (Lyng) indicates that it was probably founded during the Viking Age 800-1050. Lyngby Kirke was built around 1150, and the city was probably emerged around Mølleåen near the church, where there were fine conditions for water mills used to grind grain into flour.
In 1863, a rail connection was created from Kgs. Lyngby to Copenhagen, which meant that the wealthy bourgeoisie was able to move to the area. In the 1890s the industry blossomed along Mølleåen and Kgs. Lyngby evolved. Lyngby Hovedgade was the first place in Denmark with electric street lightning.